Web apps and materials for learning about optimization (high-school level)
These materials were created by Marc Brousseau, a teacher at Middleton high school in Madison, WI, working with graduate student Ben Afflerbach in the Morgan group. This work was done as part of a Research Experience for Teachers (RET) program (https://mrsec.wisc.edu/ret/) at UW Madison run by the Materials Research Science and Engineering Center (MRSEC), funded under grant number DMR-1720415.
- Optimization of Area of a Box: https://www.geogebra.org/classic/zqeafevg
- Local Extrema with Two Independent Variables: https://www.geogebra.org/classic/waj5hm97
- Presentation: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1L7QNNfpbY7L6Xd3qmN9B3E-bm0-y8TsTwHHeayC06j8/edit?usp=sharing
- Handout: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oWJQPpjzGAGIsjV0md-gpJr5bmO1M0yTHMGPjQBRYG8/edit?usp=sharing
Resources for Machine Learning in Materials
- Educational materials
- Modules and course plans for introductions to machine learning for materials scientists.
- ML curriculum
- One week “Introduction to Machine Learning for Materials Science” Lab
- 5-minute machine learning prediction activity
- Databases: Material’s property data sets and descriptors for easy exploration of machine learning.
The StructOpt app provides a general genetic algorithm based optimizer in python targeted at identifying stable atomic structures.
MAST is an automated workflow manager and post-processing tool that focuses on diffusion and defect workflows using density functional theory. It interfaces primarily with the Vienna Ab-initio Simulation Package (VASP).
Diffusion Data App is a database of over 250 (and growing) impurity diffusion coefficients calculated with ab initio density functional theory. Includes hosts Mg, Al, Cu, Ni, Pd, Pt, and W.
MaterialsHUB is an online hub of applications for computational materials science research and education related to defects and diffusion.
AtomTouch is a 3D interactive mobile platform (e.g., phone, tablet) molecular simulation software tool for educational purposes.
- UW links: Project page, Online App, Source code on Github.
- IOS App – “AtomTouch” on Google play and iTunes
- Tool and educational material on BrainPOP